Designated Safeguarding Lead: Mrs P
Safeguarding Manager: Mrs V Wilson
Heads of Year
Year 7: Miss L Seggie
Year 8: Miss L Denton
Year 9: Mr P Hancock
Year 10: Mr R Anderson-Fitter
Year 11: Mrs M Burton
Year 7-9 Coordinator - Mrs C Iddon
Year 10 & 11 Coordinator - Mrs J Bowyer
SENDCo: Ms R Seddon
Behaviour & Standards: Mr L Pickerill
- Assistant Headteacher
At The Barlow we have an effective safe-guarding and child
protection procedures in place. The School is committed to ensuring
the welfare and safety of all our children. We believe that
pupils have a right to learn in a supportive, caring and safe
environment. Our staff are vigilant and are trained to spot signs
that suggest a pupil may be in distress and are confident in
following the procedures to avert and alleviate problems.
School Safety & Security - What we do to keep
our students safe:
- We already do a lot or work with students on our PSHCE and RICH
curriculum about radical views etc. This work has been given
a high profile following a number of atrocities so that we are
ensuring pupils know how to keep themselves safe and encouraging
them to talk to someone if they have any concerns.
- Children who may not want to talk directly to someone are
encouraged to use the schools on line SHARP system which we monitor
- All teachers and support staff are fully trained annually in
relation to safeguarding pupils in school.
- We have a named Safeguarding Lead and have employed an
experienced Safeguarding manager (Ex Police officer) who is a
non-teacher available throughout the day to deal with any
- Teachers liaise with the police on a regular basis and if we
were to have any concerns about any of our children exhibiting
radical views etc. we must report this immediately to the CHANEL
branch of the police who will follow this through immediately.
- We are a small site for a secondary school. This means
that we can have a secured the site extremely well.
- The school is covered with security cameras.
- We have a 'Lock Down' procedure if any incident did occur at
school which threatened the safety of our pupils.
- Pupils can only enter school via one gate. This reduces
the chances of anyone who is not a member of the community getting
onto the site. This gate is supervised by senior members of
staff every day and all children are searched on entry as a safety
- Pupils are not allowed to leave school during the day unless
accompanied by a teacher or are collected by parents.
- Staff supervises the exit of pupils at the end of the day and
go out into the community to ensure pupils are safe in the local
The Barlow has a school nurse attend the school one day a week,
if you have any health concerns you can contact your child's Head
of Year to discuss discuss a referral to the school nurse.
Supporting information for parents and
Agencies that could help support you and your
- Police - 999 direct
- Childline - 0800 1111
- NSPCC 24 Hour free phone service - 0800 800 500
- Samaritans - 08457909090
- Women's Domestic Violence Helpline - 0161 636 7525
- Men's Domestic Violence Helpline - 0808 801 0327
This poster is displayed in classrooms throughout the