You can contact the school regarding admissions on 0161
Year 7 Admissions
The admissions process begins at the start of the autumn term,
for entry the following September. The parents of Year 6 pupils
will automatically receive information about the application
process through the post. This will explain how you can apply for
your child's place at The Barlow by using the local authority's
common application form. Please
click here for the Application
The deadline for applications for September 2019
places is the end of October 2019. For any late applications,
please contact the Local Authority as soon as you possibly
- Applications - parents/carers of
secondary school aged children who are new to the area/UK and
are looking to apply to The Barlow, should contact Manchester Local
Authority Admissions Team on 0161 245 7166 or download
- Transfers - parents/carers of secondary
school aged children who are at another Manchester school and
looking to transfer to The Barlow, should complete a transfer form
which will be available on request from the child's current
The Barlow is an inclusive Roman Catholic Secondary School
provided by the Diocese of Salford and maintained by the Manchester
Local Education Authority as a Voluntary Aided School.
The parish communities served by the school
are St Ambrose Barlow, St Bernard's St Bernadette's, St Catherine's
and St Cuthbert's. Nevertheless, our students come from a wide
range of backgrounds and many are drawn from outside the parishes
because parents, although not all Catholic, are attracted by the
school's inclusive and caring ethos.
The Barlow's associated primary schools are St Ambrose, St
Bernard's, St Catherine's and St Cuthbert's, however, over the past
two years, children have come to us from a variety of schools,
- Beaver Road Primary School, Didsbury
- Broadoak Primary School, East Didsbury
Button Lane Primary School, Northern Moor
Cavendish Road Community Primary, West Didsbury
- Didsbury C of E Primary School, Didsbury
- Green End Primary School, Burnage
- Ladybarn Primary School, Withington
- Lum Head Primary School, Gatley
- Mauldeth Road Primary School, Withington
- Northenden Community School, Northenden
- St Aiden's RC Primary School, Northern Moor
- St Kentigern's RC Primary School, Fallowfield
St Mary's RC Primary School, Levenshulme
St Paul's C of E Primary School, Withington
- St Wilfrid's C of E Primary School, Northenden
St Richard's RC Primary School, Longsight
- The Divine Mercy RC Primary School, Rusholme
our full Admissions Policy for 2019/20
More information from the Local
Visit the school information pages on the Manchester City
Council website for more information about the
schools' admissions process. The Local Authority is required to
have an Admissions Scheme which explains how school places will be
allocated at schools and academies.
Year 7 in September (Secondary admissions
With applicants for Year 7 in the secondary admissions round, when
the School is oversubscribed with more applicants than places,
students will be placed on a waiting list and allocated criteria as
per the schools Admission Policy. The allocated criteria submitted
will determine a waiting list order. Where vacancies occur
parents/carers will be contacted should a place become
In Year Admissions:
For In Year admissions where the School is oversubscribed with
more applicants than places, students will be placed on a waiting
list and the following oversubscription criteria will apply:
1. Baptised Roman Catholic Looked After Children and previously Looked After Children.
2. Baptised Roman Catholic children who have a sibling in the school at the time of admission.
3. Baptised Roman Catholic children resident in one of the above named parishes.
4. Other Baptised Roman Catholic children.
5. Non Baptised Looked After Children and previously Looked After Children.
6. Non Baptised children who have a sibling at the time of admission.
7. Children with proven and exceptional medical and social needs where admission to the school might best help satisfy those exceptional needs.
8. Other Children by approval of the schools admission panel.
Should you be unsuccessful in your application for a place at
The Barlow you have the right to appeal to the Local
Authority. The Appeals team can be contacted by telephoning
the Local Authority - 0161 245 7166.